Cracked teeth can be painful, unattractive, and costly to repair. In this post from Peninsula Center of Cosmetic Dentistry in Los Altos CA, we offer an easy-to-follow list of tips to keep your teeth whole and strong.
- Avoid chewing on hard things. Patients should steer clear of ice, hard candies, hard nuts, popcorn, and beef jerky.
- Beware pitted fruits. That peach may be soft, but, if you bite hard into the stone, you could damage a tooth.
- Protect your teeth. It is essential to care for your teeth while engaging in any physical activity where your mouth can be struck. If you enjoy pick-up basketball games, indoor soccer leagues, flag football, and any such activities, you should be using a well-fitting mouth protector.
- Don’t use your teeth as a tool. Locate a pair of scissors to open a package or cut the price tag off a new piece of clothing. Use a nutcracker for nuts. A quality dental crown can cost hundreds of dollars.
- Avoid grinding your teeth. Teeth grinding not only wears teeth down, it can lead to a cracked tooth. If you know or suspect that you are a tooth grinder, talk to us so we can address the problem.
- Get regular dental check-ups and cleanings. We can alert you to conditions that might predispose you to cracked teeth, such as having an uneven chewing surface or brittle teeth. We may also discover tiny cracks you aren’t aware of. Repair these cracks early, before more damage ensues.
At Peninsula Center of Cosmetic Dentistry in Los Altos CA, we want all our patients to enjoy good dental health. Patients in Daly City, Milpitas, and Saratoga come to us for complete general and cosmetic dentistry services. Contact us today!